LOCAL

This is a group workblog for the Oni Comics series LOCAL.

"Perfect three-minute single. You're going to want this one. Trust me." - Warren Ellis
"Some of the sharpest slices of life the medium has ever seen. Highly recommended." - Brian K. Vaughan
"a rare and enviable thing... painfully easy to enjoy."- Gail Simone
"the coolest short film never shown on the IFC or Sundance Channel." - Sequential Tart
"best of 2005" - The Daily Oklahoman

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

my Local - Kathleen Robbins

This is Bunny's Superette, in Manchester, New Hampshire, which is about an hour north of Boston. Manchester is called "The Queen City" and has a population of about 110,000. That's big for New Hampshire. It's an old mill town, but now the beautiful, old, brick mills have been turned into restaurants and condos and office space. There is a major airport in Manchester, as well as a Verizon Wireless Arena. Manchester is also known as "Manch Vegas," which is kind of funny at first, then dumb.

My grandmother lived in Manchester, so when my family would make the half-hour drive from Bow, NH to visit her we'd sometimes stop at Bunny's for a "treat" like a candy bar or gum or a Hostess cake. My sisters and I would wait in the car while my mom or dad ran in; I don't remember ever going in. I'd stare at the giant white posters with big, black letters announcing that day's meat specials, patiently anticipating my Necco wafers, the car idling.

I love Bunny's not only because it reminds me of a time when a parent running into a store and returning with candy was an act of pure magic, but because Bunny's is a real survivor, a mom-and-pop hold-out in this age of Wal-Marts and Super Stop 'N Shops and Costocos. As long as Bunny's is still around, I know the world isn't too far gone yet. Long Live the Superette! Long Live Bunny's!

Kathleen Robbins - Manchester NH

5 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger McPolack said...

Much of my family lives in Manchestah, and I too remember Bunny's Superette fondly. One of my aunties used to send us in to pick up milk and we got to get an ice cream treat, too.

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Will Wheatley-Uhl said...

I live in manchester, on Elm street where there is a fully functioning "meat market". I was actually going to write a little comic about manchester.

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You are exactly right. In this day and age of corporate giants, it is great to see a place that holds so many memories for NH natives hanging on. Long live Bunny's.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous janabee said...

i live down the street from bunny's. imagine my surprise when i saw this in 'local'. nuts.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous proulx37@yahoo.com said...

Wow My dughter in England send me the address for your website. I used to live in NH, near Bunny's, and the Bunny it was named after was my friend. She is a Realtor.

S.P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home