LOCAL

This is a group workblog for the Oni Comics series LOCAL.

"Perfect three-minute single. You're going to want this one. Trust me." - Warren Ellis
"Some of the sharpest slices of life the medium has ever seen. Highly recommended." - Brian K. Vaughan
"a rare and enviable thing... painfully easy to enjoy."- Gail Simone
"the coolest short film never shown on the IFC or Sundance Channel." - Sequential Tart
"best of 2005" - The Daily Oklahoman

Sunday, November 20, 2005

my Local - Dave Golbitz

I took this picture when I thought I was leaving Omaha for good, when I'd return only once a year, to spend Thanksgiving with my family, and to see old friends who hadn't yet managed to escape.

Not born, but raised in Omaha, I longed for an end to my suburban confinement. As I grew, so too did the city. Once, my family lived as far west as the city went. Nothing but grass and trees for miles beyond my house. And now? Asphalt and concrete as far as the eye can see. The roads, badly in need of widening, are congested with communters and shoppers. And glass office buildings glint in the sunlight, a blinding reminder of the price we pay for "progress."

I became sick of the shopping malls, the restaurants and fast food joints that seemingly sprung up on every street corner. I grew weary of the people and their undying devotion to Cornhusker football. Remember, this is a state that elected the former football coach to Congress for no reason other than he won a lot of football games. The city grew, yet still managed to feel like a dull, lifeless prison, the sense of sameness pervading everything.

"I know there's more to life than this," I thought. "I know there's so much more out there that I need to see."

I've left Omaha many times over the years, for many reasons, only to return, as if the city were a black hole and I, no matter how far I went, was forever trapped within its grasp. Each time, upon my return, I would wander the streets downtown, contemplating my life, my history, and that of my city, comforted with the knowledge that, regardless of both my reasons for leaving and for returning, I would always be welcomed with open arms.

The truth about Omaha is this: it's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here. There's relatively little crime, and decent jobs to be had if you want to work in one of those glass-skinned office buildings. It's a good place for young families to put down roots, but that just isn't me right now.

Omaha's been home for a long time, and it always will be. But that doesn't mean I'm not chomping at the bit to hit the road again.

-Dave Golbitz, Omaha, NE

1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Jim said...

Hey Dave! Glad to see someone put up Omaha, now I can be lazy and not have to do it myself.

Just to throw in my 2 cents about Omaha here. I used to want to leave town for quite a while. Then I got a job that required me to travel 90% of the time, and I spend a ton of time in different cities. Then towards the end of that I spent a year living just outside of D.C. After all that time, I going so many places, I wanted to come back here to live. You are right, this is a place to raise a family, and that is what I am doing.

Omaha is not a fun place, and the Husker brain washing is annoying, but it is a solid reliable place to live. It grows slow and steady and there are never any surprises.

So with all that being said: Brian, why don't you come to town to do a signing? I am sure the folks at Krypton Comics would love to have you in, the people that work there love your work. Plus, they are hawking your books for you this week as well. Each week they feature some book, and this week it has been your work.

If you are intersted, let me know and I am sure I can hook you up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home