LOCAL

This is a group workblog for the Oni Comics series LOCAL.

"Perfect three-minute single. You're going to want this one. Trust me." - Warren Ellis
"Some of the sharpest slices of life the medium has ever seen. Highly recommended." - Brian K. Vaughan
"a rare and enviable thing... painfully easy to enjoy."- Gail Simone
"the coolest short film never shown on the IFC or Sundance Channel." - Sequential Tart
"best of 2005" - The Daily Oklahoman

Friday, August 26, 2005

my Local - Brad Searles

"When people ask where I grew up, I knee-jerk with 'Burlington, Vermont'. It's not technically true, and while I did do a lot of growing up on those small-city streets, I only answer that because there's a chance you might've actually heard of the place.

That's probably not the case with my real hometown, Essex Junction, a couple towns and a 30 minute bus ride away. So named for the intersecting railroad lines, and the main roads that come together in the center to form the Five Corners, it was a kind of transitionary place; It started with small-town suburbia on the western side, where I lived just a block from Mr. Wood, and ended with a few farms on the eastern side, where my grandfather raised cows and tended his gardens before being bought out by IBM.

My neighborhood was just a mile from the massive (well, for a Vermont kid)
Champlain Valley Fair, a week-long once-a-year gathering of shaky rides,
crazy carnies, farm animals, and tents full of video games. So many
memories made on that midway. Oh, and the music. The place is responsible
for my first ever concert, The Charlie Daniels Band, when I was 11 years
old. I'd blame my parents, but I'm sure I wanted to go. Coincidentally,
this year's fair kicks off this weekend, on August 27th. I may live in
Boston now, but I'm tempted to drive back up just for the one-two punch of
The Village People with K.C. & the Sunshine Band. Ok, maybe not that
tempted.

I love the Fair's new slogan at www.cvfair.com: "Redefining Awesome!". Of
that, I have no doubt."

- Brad Searles, Essex Jct, VT born and bred.

4 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Brian Wood said...

this WAS the event of the summer, as a kid. wandering the midway trying to win cheap stuffed animals from the creepy carnie-run games. never saw any bands play, though, but I did see a lot of motocross there other times of the year.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Oh man, you reminded me the monster-truck shows they have. Could hear that shit from my house, every year. Hell, on a good night you could even hear the guy running the Fat Albert mouse-in-the-hole game.

If it wasn't for the fair, I'd never have seen a real demolition derby. Ah, the joys of crunching metal and limping rednecks.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger JennB said...

Hi guys-
I went to high school with you both...
I live back in VT after 5 years in Boston and it's still great to be in Vermont. I don't miss the cities at all. And the fair is still what it used to be: terrifying townies that emerge from the woodwork, horrific amounts of fried things (Doughreo anyone?), carnies, overpriced everything... and Fat Albert is still there.
That Charlie Daniels Band concert was my first, too. I will always hold a special place in my heart for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Rocco Cones said...

I have some great ideas :) Nevermind. Next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home